Last night, Friday Feb 3 at about 7 PM, Kyle, Brandi, Chandler and Emma arrived for a weekend visit. We were all excited to see them and chatted until a little after midnight when we all decided to go to bed.
About 1 AM the phone rang. Why would someone be calling at one in the morning? I briefly wondered if the call was from the University of Utah Medical Center where Kathy was on a waiting list for a kidney, but the Caller ID showed a regular person's name. Sarah something I think. I figured I'd be nice and answer the phone and let the person know they have the wrong number. Hello, I said expecting an apologetic voice. Instead, I heard "This is so and so from the University of Utah Medical Center. Is Kathy there?" Well it was like Kathy saying, "My water broke! It's time!" Except someone else was saying it's time and I found out before Kathy.
The person on the other end of the phone told Kathy they have a kidney, but they were running some final compatibility tests and would call back in an hour. Well it was about two hours later, but we got the call and they wanted to know how soon we could be there. Kathy suggested 4 hours and the race was on. We arrived at U of U at 7:30 and Kathy was placed in room 3105. She had a chest x-ray and lots of blood drawn and an IV placed. Then she went to dialysis, since we hadn't done it in a few days. After that surgery.
No comments:
Post a Comment